Monday, April 5, 2010

Musica, Musica, Musica!

I can think of like a billion things to write about, I just don't really want to so we'll just see how this goes.  I started to write yesterday, but I wanted to put a video up with the post but I couldn't figure out how and I could feel ANOTHER gal bladder attack coming on, so I didn't.

Yeah.  ANOTHER gal bladder attack.  I've had 2 in the last 24 hours.  Last night I got like 4 hours of sleep.  Needless to say, I was exhausted today so I just sat around and did absolutely nothing.  Which was pretty nice.  I didn't have to worry about class because it's spring break.  Yayyy!  Except for it's snowing, which sucks big ones.

So I can't really explain to you how much I used to HATE banda music.  My friends knew not to have it on around me, because I hated it so much that I would get frustrated and I'm pretty sure my blood pressure went up.  Thanks to Isai, it's grown on me. 

For those of you who aren't familiar with banda, I don't even know how to explain it to you.  My dad calls it mariachi music.  Then again, my dad calls all music in spanish mariachi just because he doesn't know what else to call it.  To be completely honest with you (and don't tell Isa), but I'm not even sure what mariachi music is.  I just picture a bunch of guys in big hats and matching fancy outfits with tubas and trumpets and stuff.  Which is kind of what I picture when I think of the bands behind the singers of banda.  If anyone knows more about this than me, and wants to clear it up, feel free, cause I would like to know.

Anyways, music is a pretty big deal to me.  It's always been a huge part of my life.  It can bring out some pretty insane emotions in people and for some reason, to me, it's kind of mind boggling how it does it.  Seriously, think about it.  Who invented music???  When was music invented???  How did people come up with it???

I hadn't ever really thought about it in that way until my senior year in my humanities class.  It just gets my mind going.  

Anyways, I had always been kind of proud of myself because I listened to such a wide variety of music.  People would be like "I hate country" and other people would say "I hate classic rock"  a really popular one was "I hate classical music."  I have to say, I like all of the above and sooo much more.  So when I encountered banda for the first time, I was kind of confused.  I just had sooo much hate for it!  It was kind of the same thing with duranguense, but if I was listening to duranguense at a baile or something and I could dance to it, then I could put up with it.  But if they started playing banda, I would find someone to talk to and try to block it out.  

In a nut shell, I hated banda, and now I love it, and a bunch of it makes me ball my eyes out thanks to Isai cause he dedicates a new song to me almost every time we talk.  If you're not familiar with banda and for some reason you wanna check it out here's a list of some of my favorites.

Me Gusta Todo de Ti by Banda el Recodo
Porque Te Quiero by Banda el Recodo
Como Pez en el Agua by La Arolladora Banda el Limon
El Proximo Viernes by Espinoza Paz
Porque Sin Ti by Banda San Jose de Mesillas 

Okay these other 2 songs, I don't think they're banda, but I really like them.

Dame Un Besito by Intocable
Olvidalo by Beto y sus Canarios

I think as my understanding of the Spanish language improved, so did my appreciation of some of the music.  Why?  Because I knew what the songs were saying.  Before I understood the lyrics, I had a hard time connecting with the music (unless I knew how to dance to it).  Now most of the music that I didn't like before, I like now, because I understand the lyrics and most of them are love songs, so they make me all sorts of happy inside haha!.....unless they're the ones that make me cry.  Either way I like em. 

**I guess I should have been more specific.  I always liked music like reggaeton, because, well, if you like reggaeton, you know why.  You don't really have to understand every single word to get the general idea ;)  It was mostly Mexican music that I had issues with.**

No comments:

Post a Comment