Thursday, April 1, 2010

World's Greatest

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is what Mother Nature did to Utah for April Fools Day.  I'm serious.  This is what we woke up to today.  It's been up to 60 degrees almost every day for the past week and all of a sudden we get hit with this.  It's days like this that I really want to be in Mexico with Isa. 
The rest of today's post is dedicated to one of the people that I look up to the very most, and my favorite woman in the world, my mom.

So today was my mom's birthday :) and I would just like to say that I hope I'm as good of a mom to Isabel as my mom has been to me.  For as long as I can remember she's been 'the cool mom'.  Not 'the cool mom' that buys beer and cigarettes for her kids and their friends.  But 'the cool mom' that everyone wanted to hang out with.  She wasn't the kind that would like take me and my friends to get our nails done or the kind that tries to dress 'hip' like her kids.  But as my friends say, she's 'the shit'.  (For those of you that don't know, being 'the shit' is a good thing.)  No matter what group of kids I've hung out with, my house has always been the place to go.  Everybody always wants to hang out at my house because my mom is so awesome.  The first time one of my friends came to my house he said, "Your house is really comfortable and it makes me feel safe.  I think it's cause your mom is so nice and she just welcomes anyone that comes and treats them like they're her own kids."  Some of my best friends have got to the point where they just call her Mom and I remember when I was younger all of my older brothers' friends called her Mom too.  Melo is teaching her baby to just call her 'Grama'. 
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about my mom.  I admire her for that, and I wish I could say the same thing about me.

The list of reasons I have for why my mom is so great, is endless, so I'll spare you for now.

I've given her a lot of shit over my short 19 years, and especially when I was in high school I don't think I appreciated her as much as I should have.  Over the last year, I feel like we've gotten a lot closer and I'm really thankful for that, because over the last 7 months I've needed her more than I think I ever have, and she's been the one person that hasn't left my side.

So I tried to make today special :).  We both had appointments this morning at the chiropractor so we went to them and then met my dad for lunch.  Mom kept asking me where I wanted to go because she knows that my stomach is still bad and I don't really have much of an appetite, (there she goes putting someone else's needs above her own.)  I just kept telling her it was her birthday so it was her choice.  She picked El Sol.  It was delicious.  They have my favorite refried beans in the world, and the only salsa that I'll eat.  Now I, along with anyone within a 5 feet radius of me, am paying for those beans.  I also have terrible heartburn from the salsa, but I'm glad Mom got what she wanted.  Then we went to my baby doctor appointment and we did some shopping for when the Easter bunny comes.  (Cause my mom is so cool, that even though the youngest in the house is 17, we still get visited by the Easter bunny.)  

Mom kept trying to decide what to make for dinner.  I told her to pick her favorite thing and I would make it.  I made sure she knew she would probably have to help me, but I would try to do all of it.  So for dinner we ended up with fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and peas :)  I was pretty proud of myself.  For her cake she made a cheese cake.  I would have made it, but we were kind of pushing it already with the fried chicken.  Grama came over for dinner and then my brother, sister-in-law, and my nephews came for cheese cake and Melo was here with her boyfriend, Jonathan.

Yesterday I cashed some of my saving bonds because I had to pay for some more stuff for school and that's what my saving bonds are for, but I used some of the money cause I wanted to get Mom something.  I bought her 2 movies: Mad Money, cause she rented it like a billion times.  And Harry and the Henderson's.  She recorded that movie off of the TV before I was born, I think, and the VHS is getting worn out.  I also got Juno, for the two of us to share.  Normally, movies might be kind of lame for a birthday gift for someone that means so much, but that's what we do.  When Dad goes out of town, Mom and I buy some chocolate milk, a couple of steaks, Mom makes homemade french fries, and we watch movies.  It's just something we've always done together.  I also got her some raisenettes.  I think they're the sickest things ever!  Putting something as wonderful as chocolate with something as disgusting as raisins should be grounds for capital punishment, but my mom loves them, so I went against my own personal morals and got her some :)

In closing, I just hope my mom knows how much I love and appreciate her, and I have no idea what I would do without her.  Love you, Mom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment