Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Baby is a Mutt.

So I would say that today was pretty successfull.  Back in September my Grama's sister passed away, but before that she had been living in a nursing home for about 4 years.  Her husband stayed in their house but he hardly touched anything because he was so completely heartbroken without her.  When she died, he moved to a nursing home as well.  First of all let me just say that I am in awe of this man.  He's gotta be around 80 years old and he walks with crutches.  He is the last horologist in our area.  A horologist makes watches.  Have you ever broke open a watch and seen just how many teeny tiny pieces there are in it??? He has worked at a local jewelers for I think over 50 years.  Despite the fact that he can hardly move without help he still goes to work every single day.  I think he would quit, but then all he would have to do is sit around and think about his wife.  

Anyways, he has this house just sitting there with all sorts of old stuff in it.  Last week my mom and my grandma went over and helped clean some things up.  He gave my mom a really nice decorative table that her cousin made before he died and he sold her a REALLY nice dresser with a mirror for $20.  Then he told her he would sell the kitchen table to her for $100.  It's round and has 2 extensions to go in it and 4 captain chairs.  It's old but it's in pretty much perfect condition.  Old people really know how to take care of stuff.  So my mom is going to buy the table for me for whenever me and Isai are back in the states with our own place.  

So today I went to the house with my grandma to finish cleaning the stuff out of the kitchen.  We were packing stuff in boxes when I heard her whisper "My golly!" (I love the words old people use) I looked up and she had tears in her eyes and she was holding two small plates in her hands.  She told me they were wedding gifts to her mother and her mother had given two each to my grama and her two sisters and one to her surviving brother.  One of her sisters accidentaly broke one and for years my grama thought that the other sister had thrown her two away and so when she found them in the cupboard she was sooo happy.  It was pretty awesome.  Before we left Uncle Mel told me I could have one of the sets of dishes.  It has like 12 plates, 8 coffee cups, 8 bowls, a platter, a gravy boat, and.....I don't remember what else.  But it's sooo ugly.  But I love it!  I have no idea what color it is.  It's kinda brownish, but kinda yellow, but kinda orange.  Like the color is uglier than baby shit.  But they have character and I kind of grew attached to them.  And I'm sure 60 years ago when they bought them they were the heighth of classy.  And it'll be really cool to have something that old from a family member.  I love old stuff. 

Me and my grama were talking about our heritage and stuff like that.  So I guess on my mom's side of the family I'm German, British, Irish, Native American, Dutch, and Scottish.  On my dad's side of the family I'm German, British, and Welch from what I know so far.  I don't know a lot about Isai's family but they're Mexican and his great-grandpa or someone is Egyptian I think.  What does all this mean?  My baby is a MUTT!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment