Sunday, February 14, 2010

'Rogue' Wave

I now understand why my dad always shakes his head when he says "Californians". On the news they were reporting about spectators at a surfing competition being disrupted by a 'rogue' wave. To me, it sounded as if they were suggesting that some awful crime had been commited against these poor, helpless spectators and that this was some huge disaster. According to the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary 'Rogue' is defined as follows:


Rogue-Adjective;1. resembling or suggesting a rogue elephant especially in being isolated, aberrant, or uncontrollable.
2. corrupt, dishonest.


When I think of something being 'rogue' I definitely think of it being uncontrollable, but usually I consider a rogue object to have some form of a mind of it's own. Something that knows it's rogue (you know, like Rogue from X-men). When someone describes a wave as being 'rogue' I picture it as a cartoon with an evil grin drawn on it chasing after the poor, helpless spectators on the beach. People running for their lives. It was mentioned in the news report that this competition was a pretty big deal because they were expecting some really big waves, so it's not like this really big wave should have been unexpected. Personally, I think, a wave is not rogue. It's nature. Maybe these people should just get the hell off of the beach when they know that a really big wave is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment