Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bittersweet Randomness

Before I get started let me just say that I'm freaking sick of college basketball.  I'm calling it march sadness because it pushes most programming back an hour and it cancels some of it so today I didn't get to watch Oprah or Dr. Phil and the 10:00 news is barely starting and right now it's 10:45.  What does this mean???  You guessed it.  Craig Ferguson is pushed back 45 minutes and I'm not really sure I'm gonna be able to stay awake that long.  I need my dose of late night telivision, but Miley Cyrus is on Jay Leno and I HATE HER!!! and I'm just not in the mood for David Letterman. 

So I guess you could say that today was bittersweet.  Here are the events in random order:

1. Meet Marlene.  She is one of my favorite people in the entire world and I've pretty much adopted her to be the little sister I never had.  In this picture we were um...supposed to be at school.  But instead we drove up the canyon and hung out at this cave.  When I got kicked out of Sky View the vice principal told me that I was a bad example to her because she was a junior and I was a senior and he noticed that our attendance records matched almost perfectly.  In my defense, I never held a gun to her head and said "SKIP CLASS WITH ME OR DIE!!!" half the time it was her idea.  However, I did tell her that if she screwed up her senior year the way that I did, I would beat the crap out of her.  Anyways, today she informed me that she got accepted to Dixie State and I'm just freakin ridiculously proud of her.  I can't even put in words how happy I am for her.  So there's that.

2. There's this guy that's Marlene's age and I've known him for a few years, but we weren't ever really good friends.  Mostly just acquaintances, but he was always a really nice kid.  Well today, Marlene informed me that both of his kidneys are failing.  He does dialysis 3 times a week and is in desperate need for a kidney transplant.  The problem is, the doctors don't want to put him on the donor waiting list because he doesn't have all of his papers.  This really ticked me off.  I looked up a bunch of things on the internet today and I couldn't find anything under the qualifications for being put on the donor list about a person's citizenship or social status or anything like that.  All of the requirements had to do with the patient's health.  So, whether or not they can legally keep him off the list, they are doctors and ethics are supposed to be a pretty big deal to them.  I just finished the part of my medical class about medical law and ethics and physicians have an ethical responsibility to do what they can to make someone healthy again, so what's wrong with this picture???  If there is some law or medical regulation saying that a 17 year old boy going through double kidney failure can't have a much needed organ transplant just because of his citizenship status, the little faith that I have remaining in some of the people of this country is going to be seriously damaged once again.

3. On a happier note, Marlene's little sister Liseth (who just happens to think I'm the coolest thing since sliced bread) is having her first communion in June.  I'm not really sure of exactly what that means, because I'm not Catholic and I've never asked, but I guess it's a pretty big deal.  Today she invited me to her party.  She was SO excited about.  I guess they're hiring a clown and everything.

4. This news is kind of happy and sad.  I have this really good friend Sami.  He's the only white guy I've ever dated haha.  It was 9th grade, he was my first boyfriend, and it lasted a week.  Somehow, we've managed to stay really good friends for this long and he's turned into more of a brother to me.  He was always this really short, scrawny kid and then senior year he grew to like 6'2" or something like that and he enlisted in the Marines so now he's like this big tough guy.  We took this picture when he was home on leave back in November.  He was bent in half at the waist to get down to my level.  Right now he's currently in Oklahoma and he'll be coming home on leave again in a few days.  After that he's going to be stationed in Hawaii.  FOR 3 YEARS!!!  Yeah, long time to be without my Sami-Boy, but I'm proud of him :)  

Alright, one last thing.  I've decided a short person needs to start a clothing line that just makes all different kinds of pants, and this is why.  Yesterday I bought two pairs of scrubs for my class.  I bought them in the size Medium Petite.  Petite, meaning that they're supposed to be shorter that just normal ones.  I put them on when I got home and they were too long.  I rolled the tops of them twice AND THEY'RE STILL TOO LONG!!!  Lucky for me I have an amazing mother that will hem them for me, but I'm not getting any taller and I don't think it should be necessary for me to take my pants to my mother's house for the rest of my life just so the bottoms of them don't end up looking like rags. 

No comments:

Post a Comment